Thursday, January 3, 2019

Saying “No” to regular full-group discussions


Well, I have argued with the best over this one! I am talking about exemplary and well-loved teachers and program consultants, literally the best colleagues I and our students could ever ask for. But I still feel I have to speak up on behalf those who are a) gifted, b) hyper, c) visual learners, and likely others.
The trend over the past few years towards group chats and activities ranging from Number Talks to Gallery Walks, has the potential to alienate learners, and in my view, goes against the imperative for differentiation.
As a learner, I have a bit of a), b) and c) above, and spent the vast majority of my elementary school years trying to avoid going there, and hating it while I was there. From story time on the carpet, to oral reading where the teacher called on everyone in order to read a paragraph, this was the stuff of nightmares for me. Literally.
The crippling boredom combined with the threat of dire consequences fill these years with bad memories… and stomach aches:)
I know we no longer threaten our students, but I wonder about the long-term impact of the constant re-direction of the same students, day after day, for these activities.
My first discussion on this topic occurred quite a few years ago when, as a Grade 8 teacher, I was invited to a math curriculum meeting on the subject of Number Talks. It was before the term was popularized, but that was the gist of it. I simply could not believe that after enthusiastically honing my DI skills for the previous several years, that I would be asked to do this group activity. In my naivety, I asked the consultant if there were groups with different, related questions. No! He was horrified. He then swore that all students of all abilities would relish the presentation and discussion of a wide variety of solutions and ideas.
I have to say now (though I held my tongue in the meeting, as I was obviously the odd one out), this is complete and utter hogwash!
In our fictional Number Talk, there will always be a sub-set of students who have instantly seen and processed every single option within one minute of the task being assigned, and for whom the remaining allotted time is both wasted and disliked. This is especially true in primary and junior situations where the prompts are often quite closely defined. For these students this occurs every single day, all year long. We cannot fool ourselves. For these kids, that period of time is dreaded.
As is a read-aloud, as is shared reading, as is a gallery walk with an extended discussion of what was observed.
I am certainly not blaming teachers for following a recommended strategy, and for excelling at it. And the benefits for some students are real.
But I also see small reading groups formed to scaffold the skills of readers at similar levels. How humane. How effective. Why have we rejected this approach in other subject areas?
In the meantime, we need to ask ourselves about negative behaviours that we see and respond to on a daily basis. And take steps to make learning a positive experience for all.



No comments: